Wednesday, April 27, 2011
So I know there are about a million worse things I could be addicted to, but I can't help thinking my sweet tooth is getting out of hand. I have a serious problem... I keep making these delicious desserts and then I eat way more than my share. For Easter I made fruit pizza and I have eaten half of the leftovers on my own. Then I made some cake pops. What's better than a cupcake? I'll tell you - cake on a stick. Smushed cake mixed with frosting and coated with a candy shell. MMMMMMmmmmm, nom nom nom. I made them for my girls' last practice and somehow the cake fairy left another dozen at home with me.
How will I ever reach my goal weight with treats like this around my house??
Sunday, April 24, 2011
Here was our holiday:
Saturday, April 23, 2011
In the two months since I've been a mommy, I have learned so many things. Here are a few of them:
- Never put on your "nice clothes" until you are moments from leaving the house. Doing so before is only asking for baby spit-up to cover your clothing and leave you furious and force you to change again.
- Always assume that gas is actually baby poo. Don't make the mistake of thinking he wouldn't poop twice in ten minutes or it could land all over you.
- JB loves to cuddle. He will sleep twice as long cuddled up next to someone as he will when he's alone. I love this, but I can only do it in the mornings or I would get crap sleep.
- My favorite time is hanging out with Trevor and Jackson on the couch. We don't have to be doing anything and I am incredibly content. Throw the doggies in and it's heaven.
- I will kill (or try my best to) anyone who would try to hurt my baby. Not joking. I think I would go bananas on someone if I thought they were trying to mess with Jack. Like a mama bear.
- I think everything my child does is adorable and needs to be photographed/recorded. It's getting to be an obsession and I'm running out of camera memory.
- The biggest thing I have learned as a parent is that it is possible to break the cycle of poor parenting. I can honestly promise my child that I will never abandon him, I will always encourage him, and he will never feel like I don't care enough (he will probably tell me that I am smothering him with too much love). I know that I will make mistakes (as I have already), but the difference between me and my parents is that I will take time to fix them and make sure that I learn something positive from them. I was really worried when I first realized that I was going to be a mom that I would turn out like mine and I wouldn't have any control because I rationalized that you parent as you were parented. But I have realized since JB was born that Trevor and I are making our own path as parents and we are able to control the way we raise our child. Thank goodness.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Thursday, April 14, 2011
This week, JB has started:
Smiling back at us when we smile (as long as he's in a good mood)
"Talking" - He makes lots and lots of new sounds and he will have a little conversation with us!
Taking shorter day naps - He is awake longer and longer during the day.
He is also going through a growth spurt so the last few days have not been very fun. He's extra fussy and he wants to sleep with Momma as much as possible. Which makes Momma not sleep very well. But he's cute and snuggly, so it's okay for now :)
My appetite since having Jackson is just as strong as when I was pregnant. I crave savory and sweet foods ALL the time. I swear that I'm more hungry now than I was while I was feeding two humans. This is not helping my weight loss goals, but it is delicious. Two of my favorite things I've made this month are:
Monday, April 11, 2011
Saturday, April 9, 2011
Jackson is now 6 weeks old and he is so wonderful. I enjoy being able to be at home with him all day and getting to see all of his growth. He's learning how to make more faces at me and I love it!
He now loves bathtime (but still hates getting rubbed down with lotion afterwards). It's so fun to put him in there and watch him relax as though he was in a hot tub with a cocktail!
He is consistently sleeping in 5-hour increments during the night. He goes to sleep at 9:30/10:30 and wakes up at 2:30/3:30 and then again at 6:30/7:30. It's nice to be able to depend on sleep again!
He is enjoying staring at the walls and at brightly colored objects. He also likes looking at himself in the mirror, and he loves to listen to music and have "dance parties" with mommy.
Thursday, April 7, 2011
I just finished a new bag pattern and I love the way this bag turned out. It is my best work yet!! I have decided to start making them for others and eventually I want to start my own little etsy shop and sell them to strangers :)
I would love to make one for you if you want one. I would only charge you for the price of materials. Let me know!
This one is available for $15. It's even reversible!
Sunday, April 3, 2011
I used to do these sorts of surveys on myspace back when it was in style. I saw it over on one of my fav blogs to read, Cleared for Takeoff, and I decided to steal it (I had permission!).
A. Age: 25 and 1/2. I sometimes feel like I'm 35 and 1/2...
B. Boys: There are FOUR in my life - my lovely husband, my precious baby boy, and my two fabulous furbabies. No girls :(
C. Chore you dislike: Changing the sheets and making the bed. Our bed is enormous and it takes forever for me to get the duvet cover on correctly (or should I say, to my perfectionist standards).
D. Dogs: Have taken over my house. Fur is everywhere - couches, beds, bathtubs.
E. Essential start to your day: Coffee. And the Today show.
F. Favorite color: Pink!
G. Gold or silver: White gold or silver. No stinky yellow gold for me.
H. Hobbies: Sewing, yoga, crafting, baking, baby nonsense, shopping, dance.
I. Instruments you play(ed): Clarinet. Middle school marching band. Embarrassing!
J. Job title: Mommy, wifey, dance coach.
K. Kids: Jackson - 5 weeks. Tanner the black lab - 3 years. Kesler the crazy german shepherd - 6 years.
L. Live for ______: my little family.
M. Most embarrassing moment: Falling down the stairs in high school, falling on the field dancing, just being a clumsy person in general...
N. Nicknames: Tab. Bleh.
O. Overnight hospital stays: Just to have my baby. Hopefully no more (hospital stays, not babies) for a long time!
P. Pet peeves: Oh boy - see post "Pet Peeves and Annoyances". Lots of them!
Q. Quote from a movie: "Scotch scotch scotch. I love scotch".
S. Siblings: 5 of them. All younger.
T. Time you wake up: It varies. Some days it 7:30am, others it's 5am. The joys of a new baby :)
U. University attended: University of Colorado. Go Buffs!
V. Vegetables: I love artichokes, spinach, eggplant, arugula. Not much else.
W. What makes you run late: Trevor. Always makes us run late. Sigh...
X. X-rays you’ve had: No idea.
Y. Yummy food you make: According to my husband: everything. I think my top creations are spinach artichoke dip, fried eggplant, and brownies.
Z. Zoo animal favorites: lions, penguins, and sealife. I think I like the aquarium much more than the zoo. I can't wait until JB is big enough to go!
Jackson is getting so big! I watch this little man grow every day. This week has flown by, just like the other four, and I have a feeling that will continue.
JB is getting better at taking baths and eating from bottles. He is also able to focus on objects for a short amount of time. He enjoys looking at himself in the mirror, and he's cool to hang out on his playmat for about 20 minutes at a time.
He LOVES music and dancing (wonder where he got that from). I use this to my advantage when he's fussy - we have JB and Mommy dance parties. Works every time.
Here he is in his play gym: